Lima Valley
Map of the Municipality
Map of the Village
Home The Region Municipalities Leisure Tradition Eating out? Sleeping out?

Edified Heritage


Bridge over the Lima River: MN, only used by pedestrians, it is formed by two sections, one roman the other medieval. S. Paulo and Jail Towers: IIP, these two towers and the small curtain of walls that exists between them are some of the few ruins that are left of the medieval fortress. Hospital of S. João de Deus: IIP, the building dates back from 1659 and initially served as a place of reception and treatment of soldiers injured in the War of Restoration (1640-1668), having subsequently known various uses. City Hall: the original building is from the 16th century, but has undergone many interventions. Ponte de Lima Pillory: IIP, a manueline construction. Camões Square Fountain: built between 1575 and 1603, probable authorship of João Lopes, known as "o moço" (the boy/the young). Public Library: originally housed the building of the Santa Casa da Misericórdia hospital. Parish Church: 15th century edification, erected on a previous construction.  Misericórdia Church: IIP, the current building was rebuilt in the 18th century, although its earlier construction dates back to the 16th century. Santo António Convent (from the 15th century) and Ordem Terceira Church: 18th century construction. Nossa Senhora da Guia Church: IIP, built during the 17th century. Lapa Church: 18th century construction. N. Sra. da Penha de França Chapel: IIP, its edification was ordered by João Lourenço, next to the old jail, so the prisoners could hear the mass. Anjo da Guarda Chapel: MN, 13th century. Nossa Senhora da Misericórdia das Pereiras Chapel: a 1525 construction, where a small chapel had already been edified. It underwent various interventions over time. Manor Houses: Garrida (18th century), Nossa Senhora da Aurora (18th century construction), Calistos (18th century), and Barbosa Aranha (17th century), all are classified as IIP.


14 milestones of the Braga/Tui roman road (classified as MN), Outeiro and Pomarchão Manor Houses (both IIP), Santa Marinha de Arcozelo Church (12th or 13th century temple), all in Arcozelo. Alto das Valadas, Trás de Cidades and Cresto (in Vitorino dos Piães) and Formigoso (Estorãos) Pre Roman Fortifications: all classified as IIP. Bertiandos Manor House (IIP, it is formed by a 16th century tower and a two-storey building, from the 18th century) and Pillory (IIP, a roman milestone adapted for the effect during the 18th century), both are in Bertiandos. Manor Houses: Calheiros (17th/18th century, in Calheiros), Vitorino (in Vitorino das Donas, totally remodelled during the 18th century) and Corutêlo (fortified manor house, in Freixo), Cruzeiro (in Arca), Fonte da Bouça (in Vitorino das Donas) and Lage (S. Pedro de Arcos). All are classified as IIP. Refóios Tower, Refóios do Lima Monastery and Santa Eulália Chapel, all IIP, in Refóios do Lima. Senhor do Socorro (18th century temple, in Labruja) and Nossa Senhora da Boa Morte (early 18th century building, in Correlhã) Sanctuaries: both are IIP. Churches: S. Martinho de Friastelas (preserves romanesque elements, 13th century, in Friastelas), S. João Baptista de Queijada (in the parish of Queijada) and S. Salvador de Rebordões (romanesque temple, modified during the 18th century, in Rebordões Souto). All of these churches are classified as IIP. Santo Abdão (romanesque 13th century temple, in Correlhã) and Moreira do Lima Chapels (in Moreira, normally attributed to the romanesque period, although there are those who consider it gothic). Both are classified as IIP. S. Pedro de Arcos Stone Cross: baroque monument, classified as IIP, in S. Pedro de Arcos. Stone Cross in Pedrosa: IIP, 18th century, one of the municipality’s best mannerist stone crosses. In Correlhã. Nasoni Portal: IIP, in Vitorino das Donas.

the news
in your e-mail
Minho Valley Lima Valley Cávado Valley Ave Valley
Contacts | Site Map
Copyright © 2008 A Nossa Terra. All rights reserved Developed by:Direnor